I ended up getting all 4 coordinating prints for $5 a yard (1 yard of each), figuring it would make a fun baby quilt someday. So when my friend told me about the nursery colors, I thought these would work well. But, then I thought, man these are a little bright and busy all together, as it turns out. I decided to feature the animals, use the stripe for binding and the dots for the backing. So I dove into my stash, decided I didn't have enough coordinates, so bought a few more (so much for using what I had!). I decided to focus on the yellow, green, black and grey.
Once all my fabrics arrived, I pulled them all out to play (my favorite part). At this point I wasn't entirely sure where I was going with this. So, I took a look at my Flickr favorites, and saw this. I decided this would be my inspiration, and with my son's colored pencils (cause I suck at photoshop) I came up with a design.
Once I came up with the design, I got super motivated to see it in action. So I stayed up until 3am on a Friday night sewing away. My idea of a perfect Friday night! And I came really close to finishing the quilt top. So close, I was able to finish it up on Sunday. Horay!
Then, it took a while for the weather, light and my schedule to coordinate to take good photos.
I'm supper happy with how this top came out (and the photos too!). I think it is modern and hipster enough for my friend. I think I will do some echo quilting in a zig zag along the arrows.
Hopefully I can get that done soon. I am super eager to have a quilt finish.